January 21, 2013

Les Misérables

Yesterday, I met with my officemates to watch Les Misérables. Some things didn't turn out well, at least for me.

There won't be a next time for Mann Hann.

The tea tastes odd. The plate and utensils needed better dishwashing.
Everything seems dry. Very disappointed with the dumplings.
I always have a bad impression with dumplings sticking on the
bottom of the plate when served. 
The Spicy Spareribs has a kick that I like, but it's quite rubbery and dry.
Mama can cook way better than this!
I forgot to take a photo of the big bowl of Hototai.
I hate how the veggies and everything in it were sliced, and they were dry!

There won't be a next time for A-Gan Tea either.

I agreed to drink at A-Gan Tea because my
officemate wanted to. I had A-Gan
Milk Black Tea (blue) and it tastes more like
evaporated milk w/ faint hints of tea.
The jelly was so soft too.
I hate everything about it.
The WiFi was so slow, I ended up taking photos.
Because I get sad when I waste drinks (or food),
I ended up drinking it all down.

Les Misérables was the day's saving grace.
Like its characters in the end, I have found my salvation.

I have never read the book, but I'm very much familiar with Les Misérables because of club stuff in high school, a project in college, and from watching the anime Les Miserables: Shoujo Cosette, and the 1998 film adaptation.

Looks nice. I wish I could bring them home. 
Been waiting for this since last year, and I was quite pleased.
They were selling the film's motion picture soundtrack.
I don't think anyone was buying. :(
We waited for 5 hours! The 1st showing was already full
so we ended up with the 2nd, which was also nearly full!
Fortunately, there were 3 seats left for us!
Hugh Jackman

On Hugh's Performance:
He acted great. I'm not saying this because he is my most favorite actor, but it seems he has totally immersed himself in Jean Valjean's character. Also, everytime he has a scene with Cosette's child actress, I feel that he is also speaking to Ava (his adopted daughter). Well, that's just a hunch. I know he does broadway, but his singing was... I'm not sure if he was physically exhausted with how he did his build transformation and it affected his vocals, but he just sounded raw and dragging. I couldn't even feel his anger on the first few minutes of the film. Sorry.

Anne Hathaway

On Anne's Performance:
Unexpectedly fantastic. I did not find her acting interesting until I saw Bride Wars where she was unxpectedly funny with Kate Hudson. I guess she did very well on this one because the character is somehow connecting her to her mother. As for her singing, I can not compare it to the theater musical actresses who played Fantine, but there was something compelling about it. Her rendtion of "I Dreamed a Dream" sounded emotionally raw and rich.

Samantha Bark's sang so sweetly that you wish life had never been mean to her. I felt Eponine's pain. I also liked actors and actresses of Gavroche, young Eponine, and the Thenadiers. Highly commendable both for their acting and singing. My favorites were: I Dreamed a Dream, Look Down, Do You Hear The People Sing?, Master of the House, A Little Fall or Rain, and Empty Chairs at Empty Tables. Of course, I won't deny that there were dragging and terrible parts in the film, but there were more good scenes so it wasn't much of a problem. It was good enough. The film did not become a favorite, but it will definitely be a constant reminder for many things.
"To love another person is to see the face of God." -Jean Valjean (Les Miserables)
It is one of the best lines I've ever heard. Ever. I think it is to be taken as whatever it is that you love, it will bring you your own kind of salvation. Thank you, Victor Hugo.

No comments:

Post a Comment