November 25, 2012

2CELLOS

2CELLOS (Stjepan Hauser and Luka Sulic)
From www.2cellos.com

As a child, I thought the cello is very much like the double bass. Anything that is not the violin like the viola and cello instantly sounds like the double bass to me even if I haven't heard how they individually sound then. I'm scared of the double bass simply because it's so tall and big (and now I'm all grown up, it's not so big anymore). I'm practically exposed to classical music since my brother took a music degree in college, and I've attended many orchestra concerts because of him but I couldn't differentiate the other members of the violin family, even so the flute family. Guess my ears were limited to the piano, flute and violin. :(

When I was in high school, I happened to watch a documentary about Jacqueline du Pre. I found her talent and playing hauntingly beautiful, and that the cello does not sound like the double bass! :) We also have the Hilary and Jackie DVD, but there was so much drama in that movie so the idea of how beautiful the sounds the cello produces just went away from my thoughts.

I can't remember if it was last year or early quarter of this year when I discovered 2CELLOS in my mother's iPad (from my brother's playlist of course). They look awesome so I checked. Their first album is just plain genius. Because I don't want to be limited just to their music, I looked at my brother's cd stash to find if there's any other cello stuff there and I found Han-na Chang and Yo-Yo Ma CDs. I'm familiar already with Yo-Yo Ma but I thought he's a violinist! Then I saw the film, Departures (Okuribito). I love its OST through and through. Suddenly, I just became addicted to cello music. Also, my friend, Sophie, who plays the cello introduced me to the music of The 12 Cellists of the Berlin Philharmonic and Mstislav Rostropovich. Cello is just a wonderful thing. It is romantic and human, IMHO. (´∀`)♡


My favorites from their covers are Smooth Criminal, Welcome to the Jungle, Hurt, and Misirlou. I'm looking forward to their new album, IN2ITION, to be released next year. Thanks to them, I discovered Lang Lang. 2CELLOS has an amazing chemistry and intense skills. I love them.

I have a huge girl crush on Naya Rivera, and in Glee's "Michael" episode, the 2CELLOS played their rendition of Smooth Criminal with Naya Rivera and Grant Gustin on vocals. I've always liked that song since I was in grade school, and I believe they did an amazing job. Right there and then I wished I could play the cello or can sing like Naya did. (And Naya is on their cover of Supermassive Black Hole by Muse. Even if I didn't like Naya's look in the video, I'm satisfied. Thank you, 2CELLOS.) (´ ▽`).。o♡


From www.philippineconcerts.com

Last October, while I was walking on my way to the train station, I saw Elton John's HUGE BILLBOARD in front of a mall. ASDFGHJKL. I've always known that 2CELLOS are with him these days as a cover and support, so they have to be with him on EJ's concert here. This is like hitting two birds with one stone. I'll get to see 2CELLOS and the legendary, Elton John. Also I read in some forums that his band is really talented so it's a huge plus. I immediately went home to go online and check whether the Philippines is on their tour list. As far as I remember, I never saw Manila from the last time I checked. Not there. Okay. So then I thought of posting on their Facebook page whether 2CELLOS are with EJ, and the next day, they posted their tour list for Asia and Australia, with Manila included. ASDFGHJKL. (ノ゚0゚)ノ~

FORGIVE ME.

Took 2 weeks before I managed to buy a ticket. My wallet cried methinks. I'm even on Postcrossing hiatus because of them. Thank you, 13th month pay!! Thank you, Sir Elton John for bringing them!! Thank you, Araneta!! #feeling

From www.amazon.co.jp
Asked my uncle who is in Japan if he could buy this for me. Hope he does!

They were supposed to have a concert here last January, not sure if it's just postponed or cancelled. I was hoping to see them then. Looking forward to their concert with Sir Elton John. Wish I could hug them though! #WISH

All photos in this post except the ticket does not belong to me. Credits to their respective owners.

No comments:

Post a Comment